ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL IN ECOLOGICAL AGRICULTURE
Farming system that try to obtain maximum quality goods respecting the environment and preserving the soil structure and fertility. This is possible using natural resources in a responsible way and without using any chemical products. This way the Oro del Desierto olive groves are cultivated from whose fruit we obtain the best organic extra virgin olive oil.
An appropriate handling of the olive grove needs procedures and stages.
Three main causes of soil degradation in the Andalusia olive groves are:
- Hydric erosion (rain).
- Physical and biological degradation: cultivation excess, scarce contribution of organic matter to the soil.
- Use of chemical plaguicides and fertilizers.
In order to improve Soil structure of the olive grove we take measures as:
- Level cultivation, gutters or infiltration canals.
- Control Furrows.
- Covering cultivations, using inert cover (mulch) and adding organic matter.
Handling of plagues, diseases and weeds
For the handling of plagues and illnesses (fly, moth, tuberculosis, etc) it is possible to take preventive measures as.
- Appropriate level of soil fertility.
- Correct use of water.
- Introduction of plants that work as refuge to natural enemies of the plagues.
- Appropriate crop cleaning works as pruning and elimination of damaged parts of the plant.
Indeed, if it is detected a plague or illness and they could damage the crop it is possible to use organic plague treatment products authorized for it.